The City of Wanneroo has identified an urgent need for a regional-level open space in the Northern Corridor of the City – specifically the suburb of Alkimos. Alkimos is one of the state’s fastest growing suburbs, with an anticipated population growth of more than 270 per cent by 2041. The current open space provision will soon be grossly inadequate for the community’s needs.
The facility will be highly utilised by the immediate surrounding residents and the wider metropolitan area. This will provide an array of social, health and economic benefits to the individuals living in Alkimos and the broader region as a whole, including;
- Enhanced social inclusion and cohesion
- Improved liveability
- Encouraging physical activity, enhanced mental and physical health and wellbeing
- Environmental benefits of providing shade and cooling, contributing to stormwater management and urban heat abatement
- Economic benefits, including increased regional event attraction.
Parks and active open spaces are a major drawcard for recreation and tourism and significant sources of employment for local communities. Events and competition days attract participants and spectators beyond the district and this has significant flow on economic benefits.
How many estimated jobs will the project create?
- Construction: 301 full-time jobs
- Ongoing: 5 direct, 15 indirect